This week’s #SundaySupper is all about apples as we celebrate the beginning of Fall with an Autumn Apple Party. Immersing ourselves into the apple theme we decided to spend Saturday at a couple apple orchards near San Bernadino about a hour and 20 minutes east of Pasadena. Our first stop was Snow-Line Orchard where the boys watched donuts being made and tried about 15 different types of apples at the sampling table.
We stopped there to do u-pick raspberries since they didn’t do u-pick apples. Sadly, by 1pm they had ran out of raspberries to pick so we enjoyed some donuts and drove down the road to Riley’s Los Rios Ranch. Riley’s was a lot of fun. The boys loved roaming around the rows of apple trees finding all kinds of varieties to pick. We mostly ended up with some beautiful red delicious and granny smiths.
We brought home 5 pounds of apples, a pint of apple cider, and homemade caramel dip. Yes it’s a good weekend.
After a fun afternoon of apple picking, it was time to start cooking. I stopped by a store for some Calvados (Apple Brandy) and picked up an organic pork tenderloin at the market. I had some collard greens, sweet potato, and bunch of freshly picked apples to begin the night’s feast.
I paired this dish with a couple sides. The first was some sauted collard greens. Just chop some greens and slice half of an onion into thin half-moon. Add some olive oil to a saute pan cooking the onions for a couple minutes then adding the greens and cooking them down for about 5-8 minutes. Toss a few times during cooking to mix the onions and greens together. You’re done.
For the second side, I chopped up two sweet potatoes and one apple into small cubes. Tossed them with a handful of raisins, olive oil and salt and pepper . Bake this in an oven proof casserole dish at 450 degrees for 30 minutes while you make the main the course.
Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce
1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into 1″ “steaks”
1 apple, thinly sliced
1 shallot, finely diced
2-3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup Calvados (apple brandy)
1/2 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in medium heat pan. Add the shallots and cook for two minutes. While cooking pound the pork tenderloin “steaks” using a meat tenderizer, salt and pepper the pork and add to the pan.
Cook about 3 minutes on each side where the sides of the pork brown just a bit. Don’t crowd the pan and set aside some of the tenderloin in a bowl.
With some pork tenderloins in the pan, add the apple brandy to the pan and if you feel daring ignite the brandy with a match after it heats in the pan for a second. The flames will surge so be careful. Let it cook for a moment with the flames then carefully cover the pan to put out the flames. Cook the brandy on medium-high heat letting it reduce by half.
Once the brandy is reduced by half add the heavy cream and cut up apples. Let this cook stirring together bring it to a boil then reduce the heat and let it cook for about 3 minutes to let the sauce thicken.
Serve the pork with the sauce and sides.
For more Sunday Supper Autumn Apple recipes checkout the following:
Soups, Salads, Starters and Breads
- Cinnamon Apple Chips- Shockingly Delicious
- Apple Celery Salad- In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maurene
- Mini Apple Pumpkin Pancakes – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Overnight Apple Cinnamon French Toast- In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Apple and Leek Soup-Soni’s Food for Thought
- Endive Spears Topped With Apple, Blue Cheese and Hazelnut Salad- The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Homemade Apple Jam – My Trials in the Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Butter Cheesecake Dip- Chocolate Moosey
- Caramel Apple Bread – famfriendsfood
- Apple Pie Bread Baker Street
- Apple, Bacon & Brie Popovers- I Run for Wine
- Apple and Almond Brie Puff Pastry- Family Foodie
- Apple, Leek and Gruyere Tarts- There and Back Again
- Slow Cooker Honey Apple Pork Loin- The Meltaways
- Apple-Glazed Meatballs- The Messy Baker
- Apples & Buttons (Ham, Apples and Dumplings)- Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Skillet Pork with Sweet Spiced Apples- Mama Mommy Mom
- Chicken Apple Meatloaf with Tarragon Tomato Sauce – Diabetic Foodie
- Baked Tilapia Apple Crisp- Daddy Knows Less
- Pork Tenderloin with Calvados Cream Sauce Sustainable Dad
- #SundaySupper Pulled Pork Sandwich With Pickled Red Onions Kwistin’s Favorites
- Harvest Rice- Webicurean
- Wild Rice with Apples, Dried Cranberries, and Walnuts – Ruffles and Truffles
- Apple Topped Sweet Potato Mash- Momma’s Meals
- Warm Spice Pecan Raisin Apple Chutney- Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Double Apple Pot Pie- What Smells So Good?
- Apple Walnut Coffee Cake- The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Apple Streusel Cobbler- Big Bear’s Wife
- Apple & Moroccan Cinnamon Gooey Sticky Buns- Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Spiced Caramel Apple Pie-Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Apple Pear Kuchen for #SundaySupper (Apfel Birnen Kuchen)- Galactosemia in PDX
- Apple Strudel - Magnolia Days
- Old Fashioned Apple Crisp with Caramel Sauce-Noshing with the Nolands
- Apple Cheesecake- Vintage Kitchen
- Caramel Apple Crumble Bars- Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Apple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting- From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Cinnamon Apple Dessert Chimichangas- Juanita’s Cocina
- Nutella Apple Quesadilla- Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream- Cravings of a Lunatic
- Bavarian Apple Torte- The Lovely Pantry
- Streusel Apple Crumb Pie + Pie Freezer Kits- Meal Planning Magic
- French Apple Cobbler with Cinnamon-Maple Whipped Cream Weekend Gourmet
- Chunky Apple-Apricot Bread Pudding- Comfy Cuisine
- Apple Butter Spice Cake – Home Cooking Memories
- Apple Pie and Custard- Happy Baking Days
- #GlutenFree Deep Dish Carmel Apple Pie- Cooking Underwriter
- Apple Brownies That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Country Apple Dumplings- Mom’s Test Kitchen
- Apple-Gingersnap Cookies- Tora’s Real Food
- Apple and Cranberry Turnovers- Flour on my Face
- Applesauce Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Caramel Glaze- Hip Foodie Mom
- Caramel Frosted Apple Cookies- No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Apple and Pecans Cake- Basic N Delicious
- Apple Pull Apart Monkey Bread- Gotta Get Baked