This week’s Sunday Supper is all about the Skinny. One thing that has helped keep our family less-thick was our move to more vegetarian meals. Most of our decision to go vegetarian 3-4 times a week came from Mark Bittman’s New York Times article “The Meat Guzzler.” Besides the benefit of eating less meat and its more positive environmental impact and the fact that we changed to eating more expensive, local grass-fed meats to support local ranchers, we also benefitted from the smart at home vegetarian made meals.
One of my favorite vegetarian dishes is variations on potato pancakes. Here I use broccoli, but you can use zucchini, squash, carrots and of course potatoes. It’s a fairly flexible recipe. I really prefer the broccoli version though as it goes well with a champagne vinaigrette.
Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette
6 cups broccoli, chopped
1 cup flour
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 cup parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
olive oil for frying
1/4 cup champagne vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Chop the broccoli into bite-sized chunks then steam using a steamer or boil for 5 minutes. After cooking, set aside to cool.
In a large bowl add eggs, flour and parmasen cheese. Mix together. Add broccoli, bread crumbs, garlic, pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Combine everything and then using a potato masher, combine everything so the broccoli is still noticeable, but not too big.
Heat a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. When hot add the oil. Scoop out broccoli mixture into a large ball and then gently press the ball into a flat pancake while in the pan. You should be able to fit 3-4 in a pan. Heat and flip after about 4-5 minutes, making sure not to burn but still getting a nice crust on each side. Place finished patties on paper towel and continue making until mixture is finished.
To make the dressing, combine the vinegar and dijon mustard. Season with salt and pepper then pour in the olive oil slowly combining constantly to keep the dressing thick. Whisk to finish combining and add more oil if vinegar is too strong.
Arrange arugula on a plate with two broccoli patties and then drizzle dressing over everything. Serve.
For more Sunday Supper Skinny recipes checkout the inspiration below:
Sizzling Skinny Appetizers & Soups
- Napa Cabbage wrapped Chinese Spring Rolls by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- #DairyFree Cream of Broccoli Soup by Galactosemia in PDX
- Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by NeighborFood
- Tomato Basil Soup by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Skinny Beef Chili by Webicurean
Healthy Skinny Mains & Sides
- Chicken with Herb Tomatoes and Pan Sauce by Hezzi D’s Books & Cooks
- Kale Salad with Pomegranates, Apples and Walnuts by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Skinny Salad Wraps by MamaMommyMom
- Mashed Cauliflower by Supper for a Steal
- Lamb Florentine Burger with Tzatziki by Country Girl in the Village
- Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wraps by The Daily Dish Recipes
- Greek Yogurt Chicken Salad by Family Foodie
- Parchment-Poached Salmon by Simply Gourmet
- Maddy’s Arugula Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cauliflower Pizza by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Light chicken enchiladas by My Cute Bride
- Pear Almond Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette by Vintage Kitchen
- Pasta Primavera by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Cauliflower Fried Rice by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ahi Tuna Salad by The Urban Mrs
- Soba Noodles with Edamame and Green Onions by Hip Foodie Mom
- Scallops Hong Kong Style by Magnolia Days
- Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew by Momma’s Meals
- Roasted Garlic, Chicken & Herb White Pizza by Dinners Dishes and Desserts
- Polynesian Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Herb Roasted Salmon with Steamed Cabbage & Peas by The Lovely Pantry
- Turkey and Black Bean Taco Burgers by In The Kitchen With K P
- Salmon Tikka Wraps with Cucumber Raita by Soni’s Food
- Whole wheat pasta with Spicy Roasted Cauliflower by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Slow Cooker Baby Back Ribs by I Run For Wine
- Chipotle Black Bean Burgers with Baked Garlic Home Fries by Curious Cuisiniere
- The Ninja Baker’s Sake & Miso Salmon by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Parsnip Fries by Gourmet Drizzles
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Smoked Sausage Cassoulet by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cumin Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots by Mangoes and Chutney
- Italian Sub Salad by Diabetic Foodie
- Swiss Chard and Quinoa Croquettes by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli Patties with Arugula and Champagne Vinaigrette by Sustainable Dad
- Raw Kale Salad with Chickpeas and Salmon in Orange Dressing by Shockingly Delicious
- Greek Yogurt Egg Salad Sandwich by Damn Delicious
- Confetti Cabbage and Salmon Wraps by The Roxx Box
- Escarole and Beans by Midlife Roadtrip
- Cajun Black Beans by Ruffles and Truffles
- Caprese salad by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Skinny Wholegrain Fettuccine Alfredo with Greek Yogurt & Coconut Oil by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Guilt Free Skinny Desserts & Snacks
- Chocolate Avocado Cake by Gotta Get Baked
- Tiramisu Parfaits by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sugar Free Banana Almond Muffins by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coconut Cinnamon Buns by Juanita’s Cocina
- Warm Apple Crumble by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Dark Chocolate-Dipped Apricots by girlichef
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipe by Masala Herb
- Skinny Chocolate Almond Pudding by Basic N Delicious
- Wine Pairing Recommendations for Skinny Sunday Supper by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Join us Around the Family Table this Sunday at 7pm Eastern Time and share your favorite healthy recipes with us!